Alignment with PNG Vision 2050
Papua New Guinea’s Vision 2050 Goals set a long term strategy to map out the future directions of Papua New Guinea and its people.
The Papua New Guinea Vision 2050 is underpinned by seven strategic areas or ‘pillars. They are;
- Human Capital Development, Gender, Youth and People Empowerment;
- Wealth Creation;
- Institutional Development and Service Delivery;
- Security and International Relations;
- Climate Change and Environmental Sustainability;
- Spiritual, Cultural and Community Development; and
- Strategic Planning, Integration and Control.
It is planned the implementation of these pillars will be a holistic approach through government sectors, provincial governments (their districts, local government and wards) non-government organisations, donors and private sectors.
In developing the April Salumei Rainforest Preservation Project it became apparent the objectives of this vision are closely aligned with the potential of the project and furthermore some of the individual objectives in the Vision 2050 have been adopted for the April Salumei project.
When we look at the seven pillars we can identify where the April Salumei projects aims are aligned to the PNG Vision 2050;
- Human capital development is addressed in the projects with local people empowered to manage their own project in the roles of community stewards. There is no discrimination between gender and youth roles have been designed to facilitate the development of the roles as people grow.
- Wealth Creation is obvious with funds being delivered to the landowners and stakeholders in the area.
- Improved service delivery is necessary to ensure the landowners receive the benefits they require and have planned for.
- Pillar 4 which emphasis security, law and justice sector must be embraced as well as the society and communities face new challenges and models of rolling out economic development. It is important any social and cultural hiccups are managed urgently.
- International relations will naturally be strengthened as more people ‘invest’ into the carbon sequestered in the forests of the projects that are developed.
- Climate Change and Environmental Sustainability is most obviously the pillar under which this project fits directly.
- Spiritual, Cultural and Community Development is addressed directly. Project funding is available for all of the community and this includes church groups. Local customs and beliefs along with special sites are recorded as part of the project. Plans are currently afoot to develop a curriculum to represent traditional beliefs of the local area and community development is the aim of the project funds.
- Finally strategic planning integration and control need to compliment PNG Development Strategic Plan 2010-2030 which then further streamlined into Provincial and District and Ward plans. The Department of National Planning and Monitoring has been mandated to ensure the PNG Vision 2050 and projects like the April Salumei compliments the PNG Government and its communities.
Additionally these objectives reaffirm and support the Ambunti-Drekikir District Joint District Planning and Budget Priority Committee (JDP & BPC) as part of their 10 year plan.